SPMS Music Boosters is looking for volunteers to join the Executive Board !
The SPMS Music Boosters has been an approved school district group for the last two years but we have a real need for additional volunteers in order to continue. Please read the following information and consider joining our board. Thank you! The SPMS Music Boosters is the main fundraising body for the Music Program at the middle school as well as for 5th grade band. Parent volunteers on the SPMS Music Boosters work directly with the music directors/teachers for Band, Orchestra and Choir supporting them in maintaining and growing the music program, providing performance opportunities for students, and assisting in organizing volunteers and events/activities. The original board has some graduating students this year and new volunteers are very much needed to help the Music Boosters continue to grow. We are looking for parents with incoming 6th graders as well as parents with 7th or 8th graders. Everyone is welcome! What type of volunteers are needed? There are a few key positions that are open on the SPMS Music Boosters Executive Board: President (or consider co-president with a friend), Vice President, Membership Chair, Music Mondays with Munchies Chair, Event Chair, Talent Show Chair, Hospitality Chair, Music Fest Chair, and Volunteer Coordinator. But, if you have a specific interest that is not listed, we are thrilled to be able to add additional chair positions. As a new school district group, we are open to new ideas and thoughts. Whatever talents you have, we would love to have you share them with us. What does the commitment look like? Board Members commit to their position for about a year - from August 2022 to May 2023. SPMS Music Boosters has an Exec Board Mtg once a month that board members are committed to attending on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 6:30 pm. We have quarterly General Assembly Mtgs also on the 2nd Thursday of each month and the General Mtg is at 7:30pm. In addition to attending those meetings, board members commit to their own position needs/requirements - please see below for additional info on each position. All new board members should plan to attend our last mtg of the school year on Thursday in May at 6:30 pm via zoom. Description of Board Positions and Vacancy for School Year 2022-23: These descriptions are not all inclusive but provide an idea of what each position manages. SPMS Music Boosters is happy to talk to anyone in more depth about any board position. 1. President: Organize and conduct the monthly meetings, sign checks and oversee financials, follow up and support the various other board positions with their activities, provide direct support to music teachers and music department events, be familiar with bylaws and ensure board follows bylaws and school district procedures. --Filled
2. Vice President: Supports the President, conducts monthly meetings if president is unable to, and ideally is willing to be a future president as needed. -- NEEDED!!!
3. Treasurer: is responsible for handling the money raised at events, making approved payments and making arrangements for counting of money at events. At each event, two people, the Treasurer and another Committee member should take charge of monies received and count the proceeds before they leave the event venue. -- Filled
4. Secretary: The main role of a Secretary is to support the Chairperson to ensure the smooth running of the PC/PTA and to maintain effective communication links between committee members and between the PC/PTA and the school. Their role may also include: • Ensuring meetings are well organised and minuted.-- Filled
5. Communications Director: Managing the boosters site, updating the events, uploading the music performances/ pictures, and taking pictures at different events if possible. -- NEEDED!!!
6. Fundraiser Director: is responsible for Wish Night fundraising and will work with Music Boosters to identify and host fundraising activities or events. Plan and organize dine-out/dine-in events once a month with local restaurants such as TeaMorrow, Chipotle, Blaze and The Habit. -- NEEDED!!!
7. Music Fest Chair: Plan a yearly main fundraiser of some kind that can be repeated yearly. It does not have to be a "Music Fest" that is simply one suggestion. SPHS music boosters does a yearly spaghetti night. SPMS is looking not to copy that idea but to develop our own idea. -- NEEDED!!!
8. Event Chair: Work with other Chair positions on planning and organizing events that either help to Fundraise for Booster Club or provide a service to the school, students or music program. Ideally it would be great to have some kind of event each month - for example, Back to School event in August, Membership Drive event in Sept, Membership Party event in Oct, etc. Calendar the event dates and share with SPMS, SPUSD, and the Booster Board. -- NEEDED!!!
9. Volunteer Coordinator: Create and maintain a database of parent volunteers who would be interested in volunteering in different ways. Send out a Google Form for parents to fill out and organize the results and reach out to parents wanting to volunteer to get them connected. -- NEEDED!!!
10. Hospitality Chair: Be in charge of soliciting donations of goods or gift cards from local places and Costco as well as purchasing needed items; then organize the selling of goods and drinks and snacks at events such as the concerts for 5th grade band and all grades for choir, orchestra and band. -- NEEDED!!!
11. Membership Chair: Maintain and manage the membership database, run a membership drive in August/Sept and plan a few fun membership activities. 12. Talent Show Chair: Plan and organize a music based talent show, hold auditions and recruit volunteers for the various aspects of the talent show (such as a host, videographer, etc.)